Blog Page
Monday July 24, 2017

okw news logo

OKW News | South East Oklahoma Latest News

Decorating Wisely: Fire Safety Featured

Last modified on Saturday, 01 July 2017 01:28
Written by  Friday, 30 June 2017 15:24
Rate this item
(0 votes)

By Glenda Wise

 

 

I’ve mentioned time and time again about my fear of running an appliance either while we’re gone or while we’re sleeping, because a past neighbor’s house burned because of a dishwasher. Well, I have a new warning for you---the cooktop.


The other night we had just cooked burgers and were enjoying our favorite show, “American Grit” when all of sudden I hear a lot of popping and noise in the kitchen. I ran into the kitchen assuming I would find a cat being naughty. Instead, I found the kitchen full of smoke and the plastic burger tray with a perfect hole burned in the middle. We kept things from escalating any worse and after an hour of cleaning the cooktop, it was good as new (more on that in a moment).


Here’s what our best guess as to what happened. We believe Ashton’s 90-pound dog (who is basically a bull in a china closet all the time) put his front paws on the stove to get to the burgers and while doing so, hit one of the knobs and turned on the stove. This all happened within a matter of minutes. It scares me to death to think if we would have been outside or sleeping.


As promised here’s how to get your glass cooktop good as new. First, I scraped all the plastic off with a razor. Then I wiped down the entire stove with Dawn and dried it off so I could see what was left. I scraped and wiped some more. Finally, I made a paste with baking soda and water, covered the entire surface and let it sit for a bit. I scraped some more and then washed it all off. I finally finished with a bit of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.


There are three morals to this story:
1. Don’t put plastic on the cooktop.
2. Always, always lock the stove no matter if you have little ones or not.
3. Check your smoke detectors regularly! During all of this, we realized the kitchen smoke detector wasn’t working because it never went off and believe me there was so much smoke rolling through the house you couldn’t even see. It wasn’t until it reached the fire alarm for the alarm company that anything sounded.

 

Very scary!

 

David Deaton

Digital Editor at Oklahoma Welcome

Google +

Latest Events

Sponsored By:
25Jul
Bandit Football Camp
Tue Jul 25 @ 6:30PM - 10:00PM
26Jul
Bandit Football Camp
Wed Jul 26 @ 6:30PM - 10:00PM
27Jul
Bandit Football Camp
Thu Jul 27 @ 6:30PM - 10:00PM