By Glenda Wise
With my job, I get to see all different styles and price ranges of homes all over the country...literally every price range you can think of from a few thousand to multi-million dollar properties. One thing I have noticed is that just because a house is at the top of the price range, doesn’t necessarily mean it is nicer than a home valued at a fraction of that price. Yes, of course, some of those multi-million dollar homes will just wow you with all the upgrades and some are really well done, but some not so much. I got to thinking about what makes some of these homes that are vastly different in prices just as comparable and appealing to me. Usually the homes that are decorated in a timeless style are my favorites. Timeless classics never go out of style. How can we add that timeless touch to our homes? Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve found throughout the years:
• Look to famous buildings around the world for inspiration. For instance, the beloved Cathedral of Notre Dame is an example of a timeless elegance that will never go out of style. This structure touched people that weren’t even religious just because of its sheer beauty.
• Mix textures to soften hard elements. Think about a leather sofa, without throw pillows and a soft blanket thrown across the arm, it can look a bit cold and uninviting.
• Don’t fill a room with things just because you think it needs something to fill the space. Wait for the perfect item to come to you, something that has meaning. I would much rather look at a blank wall than have something that I didn’t love hanging on it.
• Mix formal with casual. I love a little something unexpected in a room and that is why I love to mix formal and casual. I am a huge fan of a chandelier in the bathroom.
• Crown molding in a room adds a timeless elegance to any room and it adds value to your home.
• Finally, my favorite...blend old with new. Incorporate at least one vintage piece into a room for extra charm.
Wishing you all a wonderful Easter holiday!