Men hoping to get in shape typically know that getting fit requires a combination of diet and exercise. While it might be easy to adapt to a new exercise regimen, many men find it difficult to alter their diets. But a healthy diet does not have to be drab. The following are some healthy foods that men can enjoy on their way to improving their overall health.
* Turkey: Each ounce of skinless turkey breast contains seven grams of muscle-building protein, which should interest those men looking to improve their physique. Turkey often has no saturated fat and is even high in vitamin B and zinc.
* Beans: Beans are loaded with protein and contain no saturated fat. Men who want to get the most bang for their bean should consider black beans, which have the most fiber per serving. Fiber swells in your stomach and makes you feel full, which can quell any hunger pangs you get during the day. This can help you avoid overeating.
* Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are a staple of Thanksgiving dinner, but they can be enjoyed year-round, too. Sweet potatoes protect the body against cell damage because they're loaded with nutrients such as beta carotene, iron and vitamins C and E. Sweet potatoes also help your body's muscles recover after a tough workout.
* Beef: Beef might not be the first food men think of when they're trying to get in shape and improve their overall health, but beef is loaded with nutrients, including protein, B6 and B12, niacin, phosphorous, and selenium. When buying beef, look for lean cuts. They should not be too difficult to find, as the United States Department of Agriculture notes that today's beef is 20 percent leaner than it was as recently as a decade ago.
* Yogurt: Men who need to shed a few pounds should consider yogurt, which contains calcium thats help the body feel full as it effectively burns fat. In addition, yogurt contains active cultures that increase the amount of germ-fighting bacteria along the intestinal walls. Studies have linked those cultures to a reduced risk of getting a cold, so you might just avoid a cold while you're losing some weight.
* Spinach: Popeye ate spinach, and men looking to get in shape and stay healthy should follow suit, as spinach is loaded with calcium, fiber and beta carotene, which boosts your immune system.
* Oatmeal: Eating healthy can start in the morning with a bowl of oatmeal. It contains ample soluble fiber that can reduce a man's risk of developing heart disease by helping reduce your cholesterol levels. If plain oatmeal is too drab, add some fruit like strawberries, bananas or blueberries, which contain more fiber, vitamins and minerals per ounce than any other fruit.