Athletes Unlimited AUX Softball on ESPN to be only national broadcast of women’s sports on day of Title IX anniversary
Athletes Unlimited will mark the 50th anniversary of Title IX on Thursday, June 23 with a number of events and initiatives, including:
- ESPN will carry live coverage of two games from Athletes Unlimited’s new AUX Softball competition at San Diego State University. Coverage begins on ESPNU at 7:00 PM ET, with the second game beginning at 9:30 PM ET.
- All players in both games will wear commemorative jerseys featuring the roman numeral IX on the back (see attached photo featuring Victoria Hayward wearing the jersey). One of the jerseys will be turned into a 1-of-1 NFT that will be up for auction along with a game-worn Title IX jersey following the game here.
- Prior to the first game, nine Little League players from Pachappa Little League in Riverside, California will throw out the first pitch.
- Also prior to the first game, Athletes Unlimited will welcome and recognize Southern California softball legends Sue Enquist and Stacey Nuvemen-Deniz. Enquist won 11 national softball championships as a player and coach with UCLA and is a member of the International Women’s Sports Hall of Fame, while Nuveman-Deniz – currently the head softball coach at San Diego State University – is a three-time Olympic medalist with Team USA (gold in 2000 and 2004, silver in 2008), and also helped Team USA to a World Cup championship in 2006 and World Championships in 2002 and 2006.
- Prior to the second game, Olivia Dunn, Elisabeth Kollrack, Madyson Roach and Debbie Englestad from Grant High School in Portland will throw out the first pitch. Olivia, Elisabeth and Madyson were student-athletes at Grant High School who alongside Debbie, their softball coach, filed a federal suit against Portland Public Schools, alleging sex discrimination because the coach and athletes weren’t given treatment and facilities comparable to those provided for the boys’ baseball team. Their story is featured in ESPN's "37 Words" four part docuseries celebrating the 50th anniversary of Title IX.
- As part of the ESPN broadcast, Athletes Unlimited will continue highlighting content from a recent series of talks hosted by TEDxBoston featuring women’s sports luminaries including Sheryl Swoopes, Elizabeth Galloway McQuitter and many others.