* The following update is based on an active and ongoing investigation. The OSBI's initial understanding of the facts and circumstances may evolve over the course of the investigation as witnesses are interviewed and evidence is collected and analyzed.
Upon completion of the OSBI investigation, agents will submit a report summarizing their investigation to the office of the prosecuting attorney who will determine whether or not to file charges.
MCALESTER, Okla. (January 15, 2023) – The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI), at the request of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), is investigating an officer-involved-shooting involving officers with the McAlester and Krebs Police Departments. Based on the initial investigation, this is what is known at this time:
• The OSBI was requested by the FBI to investigate an officer-involved-shooting that occurred at 8:25 p.m. on January 14, 2023 in the 1900 block of Green Meadows Drive in McAlester.
• A 9-1-1 caller was requested a welfare check on a male subject that was having a mental episode.
• The subject was known by the McAlester Police Department.
• McAlester officers responded and requested assistance from the Krebs Police Department.
• Officers arrived at the home and approached the male subject.
• The man was in the doorway armed with a carbine rifle.
• Officers gave commands to the subject to put the weapon down, which were disregarded.
• Officers discharged their weapons hitting the man.
• Officers immediately began rendering aid. The man was transported to the McAlester Regional Health Center where he was pronounced deceased.
• A loaded carbine rifle and a high-capacity magazine were recovered from the scene.
• No officers were injured.
• The subject’s name is not being released pending next of kin notification.
The investigation involves Native Americans and falls under the McGirt Supreme Court decision. There is no additional information to release at this time.