Students named as TRiO Achievers at Carl Albert State College were honored at an evening reception at the Poteau campus on February 28, 2017.
The CASC TRiO Achievers Award is designed to recognize and honor CASC TRiO & former TRiO participants who have demonstrated exemplary accomplishments in their education and/or professional pursuits, and for whom CASC TRiO programs played a fundamental role in their educational achievements.
CASC houses federally funded TRiO programs at both the Poteau and Sallisaw campuses that are funded 100% by the U.S. Department of Education. TRIO is a set of federally-funded college opportunity programs that motivate and support students in their pursuit of a college degree. Among the many services provided, TRIO programs provide academic tutoring, personal counseling, mentoring, financial guidance, and other supports necessary for educational access and retention. At least two-thirds of participants are low-income, first-generation students and/or students with disabilities from sixth grade through college graduation.
The programs are under the direction of TRiO Director Michelle White and include:
• Student Support Services (Poteau) – serving 285 students with an annual budget of $435,980. Coordinator Kim Hughes.
• Educational Opportunity Center – serving 1675 students with an annual budget of $510,799. Coordinator Kelly Kellogg.
• Educational Talent Search (Poteau) - serving 687 students with an annual budget of $306,752. Coordinator Melana Ridenour.
• Upward Bound South (Poteau) – serving 105 students with an annual budget of $454,230. Coordinator Melinda Pierce.
• Upward Bound Math/Science (Poteau) serving 74 students with an annual budget of $308,858. Coordinator Tara Foos.
• Educational Talent Search North (Sallisaw) – serving 508 Students with an annual budget of $240,480. Coordinator Paul Marshall.
• Upward Bound North (Sallisaw) – serving 65 students with an annual budget of $270,375. Coordinator Jaime Henson.
The TRiO Achievers along with TRiO personnel are featured in the group photo and include front row from left to right: Upward Bound North’s TRiO Achiever, Jennifer Sandoval; Student Support Services’ TRiO Achievers, Karen Ann Crosby, and Amanda Lloyd; Talent Search Poteau’s TRiO Achiever, Ashley Scroggins; Educational Opportunity Center’s TRiO Achiever, Kendra Bullard; Upward Bound South’s TRiO Achiever, Penny Gooch.
Back row left to right: Paul Marshall, Talent Search Sallisaw; Tara Foos, Upward Bound Math/Science; Jaime Henson, Upward Bound North; Kim Hughes, Student Support Services; Melana Ridenour, Talent Search Poteau; Kelly Kellogg, Educational Opportunity Center; Melinda Pierce, Upward Bound South; Michelle White, TRiO Director.
Not Pictured: Educational Opportunity Center’s TRiO Achiever, Daryl Legg; Talent Search Sallisaw’s TRiO Achiever, Kaitlyn Paige Hill; Upward Bound Math/Science’s TRiO Achiever, Christopher Oliver.