RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – The Great American Conference announced the league’s Players of the Week recipients for the seventh week of the tennis season. Oklahoma Baptist’s Gianluca Galdi captured the Men’s award and Southeastern Oklahoma State’s Samantha Coquinos garnered the Women’s honor.
GAC MEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Gianluca Galdi, Oklahoma Baptist, Fr., Sao Paulo, Brazil
Galdi earned a combined four wins, including three at three unique singles positions. Against Southwestern Christian, he won 6-1, 6-1 against Brady Mathews at No. 4 singles and paired with Lucas Castelo Branco for an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles. After earning a win against Oklahoma Wesleyan, he bested Chris Norrie, 6-4, 6-3, from No. 21 Midwestern State, in the No. 5 singles match.
GAC WOMEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Samantha Coquinos, Southeastern Oklahoma State, Fr., Paris, France
Coquinos produced a perfect week as she posted a pair of wins at No. 2 singles, one at the No. 3 position and partnered with Anna Buiukian for three doubles wins. She earned a straight-set victory against Southern Nazarene’s Anna Garcia as Southeastern won its GAC opener. She came back with a 7-5, 6-2 win against No. 24 Cameron’s Mathilde Thibaudat.
NOTABLE MEN’S NOMINEES
- Alberto Blesa, Sr., Southeastern Oklahoma State (Went 2-1 in singles play; beat top player from No. 26 Western New Mexico)
- Carlos Crisostomo, Jr., Harding (Earned 30th career singles victory and improved to 18-8 at No. 1 doubles)
NOTABLE WOMEN’S NOMINEES
- Tamara Bell, Sr., Arkansas Tech (Moved to 13-0 in singles matches with three wins; Tech posted a 3-1 record)
- Piper Huey, Sr., Harding (Picked up a pair of singles wins and three doubles victories; beat two regionally-ranked opponents)
- Rouxanne Janse van Rensburg, Fr., Oklahoma Baptist (Beat Daria Panferova of No. 12 Midwestern State, 7-6, 6-3)